Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Too Much of a Good Thing

If you know me, then you know I love to read, and although partial to New Yorker type fiction (think Richard Ford, Don DeLillo), I have learned from book groups that I can read almost anything. It is hard to remember a time in my life before book groups, when I had to peruse the book store or library shelves and think about what I wanted to read. But now I am in a frantic state of trying to keep up. Of course this is my own fault. First there was just one group, which I always thought of as Miriam's group, because she belonged before me, but never invited me (too much togetherness?) but then it turned out a mutual acquaintance sat next to me on a plane to SF and she invited me and that was years ago. And the concept is not to read what everyone else is reading which means tracking down books at the library although I am usually late and someone has beat me to it. Then came the invite to what I will call the tennis book group, because that is how I know the ladies, but more than 6 months lapsed between the idea was broached and the invite arrived by email. By then I had already started up with NC's group, called that because she is the ringleader and a wonderful ringleader she is. We meet a coffee shop so no one cooks or drinks, but we enjoy our tea and have a diligent discussion of books which are usually what everyone else is reading which is just fine with me and have read some really enjoyable books, Snow Flower's Secret Fan being my favorite. But now I have one or two book groups too many but I love to read and I like everyone so haven't figured out how to balance. Occasionally I get lucky and have a conflict and am off the hook for the month. My latest ploy is to get two of the groups to read the same book which has worked once already and is incredibly convenient. So that is how I became the book group whore (adulteress?) that I am.

I think the real solution would be to combine the tennis and NC group, you know the old strategy where you invite all your boyfriends to a party and see who rises to the top? Am not sure this would work, but in the meantime I better run. I've got lots of reading to do.

No comments: