Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Fast and Furious
I am impatient by biology, quick in my thinking and perhaps too quick in my judgements at times. So it was interesting to read that interrupting is a "sin". Now I don't think it is a sin on the level of bodily harm, stealing or even lying but there it is, a behavior that a person who is in touch with the talmudic imperative isn't supposed to do. So in a large group of people last night, I kept that in mind. Just because I have a strong personality and can insert myself in situations doesn't mean it is okay to do so. On top of keeping the gossip to a minimum and believe me there were choice opportunities where any comment, even the most neutral seems to add a bit of fire to the flame, there was the choice to be aware of my own speech, not jumping in as I have the habit to do. I can see this is another one of those habit changes that is going to be really tough. All those years of jumping up and down in my classroom desk, hoping to be called on. Living in a household of "talkers", working to get my own opinions heard, somewhere I compensated too much. Not that I need to be meek, just wait for the opening. Follow the flow of the current in the river of conversation, an analogy from the water slide episode of the Biggest Loser last night. I find that all my pent up need to talk about folks is now expressed by talking back to the TV.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment