Monday, November 14, 2011

Its the most wonderful time of the year

There were no amazing strides today. However with the Holiday season approaching the opportunities for doing good are growing daily. Now the challenge becomes finding the time. I did miss the food drive at the Fork in the Road yesterday, but then when I went to my meeting the company had a big barrel in the lobby for their food drive. I almost thought it was a trash can and was going to stash my gum there but ended up having to swallow it. I saw on the news at the gym that they are taking down the wall street protest sites, someone was shot, unsanitary etc. It was amazing how many people converged to protest some not well defined sense of injustice. Now if only that could be channeled. But watching the news coverage, I was struck with how some of the residents looked like seasoned street dwellers, perhaps this was an opportunity for a warmer fire, even some free food and companionship. For them, they went from being outcast to being at the center of things, and able to pitch their tent in public places without harassment. Even in Japan where you don't here much about poverty and homelessness, I encountered a large tent city along a river with a soup kitchen set up that was ladeling out porridge. Some of the stories you read just break your heart, folks who just fell behind, got in too deep. I do plan to do something new this year, which is volunteer to help with the Union Station meals. It would be great if we could do it as a family on Thanksgiving day, but that just sounds too difficult, but maybe Christmas day is something to shoot for. Have put signing up on my to do list for tomorrow, so it will get done.

No comments: