Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recap

Since September of last year I have been exploring and writing about mitzvot, the commandments of what to do and not to do. And although there are technically 100's of these (closer to 700), so far on a day to day basis, there are a clear top six.
1) Giving to others in need, giving to charity (tzedakah)
2) Helping the sick (bikkur holim)
3) The mitzvah of supporting mourners (going to funerals, shivas)
4) Avoiding LashonHara (The evil tongue)
5) The mitzvah of shabbat
6) The mitzvah of prayer

When I was writing daily, I sought out new opportunities and new ways of doing things, but now on a weekly basis, mitzvot gets put on a back-burner until I have to write about it. It means remembering to do the right thing and then remembering to write about it. I'm not sure my memory is that good. So here I am writing this and thinking what is today's mitzvah, and my daughter calls and she has the flu, but she is miles away. So what can I do as a Mom to help? Just a shoulder to cry on I guess. I hope it did help. I think we are all one hand shake away from the flu or the cold of the moment.

I had hoped to spend time with my friend who is very ill, but she took a turn for the worse and is not seeing visitors. This makes me so sad.

It is my grandmother's Yarzheit tomorrow, I will go to temple and on Saturday do the bat mitzvah presentation. I just went online and donated money to City of Hope in her honor. I remember her talking about raising money for City of Hope way back when, probably the '40s. They do good work and it is good to have a major cancer treatment and research center in the area.

No comments: