Thursday, July 5, 2012

Straight Shooter

Pretty much my whole life, I have told it like it is.  In my twenties, I was known among my friends as "lacking in tact."  I was the one considered fearless enough to ask a complete stranger a direct question.  I never took offense at this observation, and secretly I was proud that I could ask something without having to jump around the topic.  I often thought that I would have been a good journalist, because I love asking questions and getting to the bottom of a story.  Later in life as a business person working in start-ups, I was shocked and dismayed by the lack of straight talk.  Lots of hand waving, but if the investors or potential partners knew just how clueless we were, conversations might have gone a different direction.  I really struggled with this.  It is easy to be confident and clear when you have the answers and you know that the information is positive. 
So it put a smile on my face to read that "Love of being Straightforward." is a middot.  I remember one time when my daughter asked for input on something and I hemmed and hawed not wanting to say something negative to her, and she set me straight.  "Just tell me what your really think, that is all I am asking!."   So I took a deep breadth and I told her and everything was fine and since then I have tried not to misrepresent or obfuscate too much, but there are still plenty of times when I have thoughts that are better off left unsaid.
Loving being straightforward doesn't mean being negative, thank-you very much Larry David.  "What, it's true!"  I proclaimed something very similar when as a 8  year old I was chided for complaining that my grandparent's smelled funny.  It was must, and rum balls and the smell of old furniture. 
This middot is not about speech per se, but clarity and comes from, "What is the straight path a person should choose? That which does him/her honor and wins him/her the esteem of others. (Avot 2,1)  I am in the process of putting together a presentation on lessons learned in life science partnering and brought to mind someone who did a big end run around the CEO to keep his job, but in the end I think did harm to others including discrediting the CEO which led to other outcomes.  He came out on top, so it can't be said that the strategy didn't work but it is just not the way I like to operate.  Still I'm not 100% straight, I lead clients to believe I am juggling more projects than I am, I may represent my experience in broad strokes which could give a different impression.   I am happiest though when I feel honest in my core, that my actions and words are aligned, that I am just who I am, strengths and flaws and by living from that place, from that core, good things happen. 

Sometimes when things get a bit challenging or competitive, I wander from the straight path.  I go hiking off the trail, and I get lost.  I want to be seen as accomplished and rather than staying the course I start to do and say things which sabotage my progress.  This week is a good time to reconnect with my goals, and put effort into a plan and moving forward with that plan.

Things I am grateful for:
That my husband, children and I are basically healthy
For the sunshine and wonderful weather which nourishes us where we live
That the bills are paid
That I am loved
That I am connected to many people in this community in a loving and positive way

No comments: