Today's tone was set by a flat tire that I caught on my way out the door. These things do happen, and a few hours later, AAA and the great guy's at Americas Tire, I am back on the road. It threw a bit of a wrench in my plans to make it to the West side, but no matter shagged a round raisin challah at Gelson's and some Rugelach too. Buying these things puts a smile on my face as I know the holiday is just around the corner and I will be here with family and friends tomorrow evening and I look forward to it. Observance of religious rituals is a mitzvah, and one that is at the heart of what it means to me to be a Jew. Still other than some early cooking later today, no good deeds on the agenda, so finally made my donation to Friends of the LA River. I've been talking about this for years and applauding the groups efforts from the sidelines but finally stepped forward with my small donation. Another thing I have been doing is not rushing, letting folks go first at the supermarket that have a baby and one item or at least not racing to be the first to the cashier. As someone who has been rushing since birth, this is a small but significant change. So I was kind of taken aback when as I was entering Gelsons, an intense young woman in yoga outfit practically ran into me with her cart, I stepped aside and blew past me with a look of "watch where you are going" I'm not sure what the rules for pedestrians vs cart right of ways in a sliding door area are, but I'm pretty sure that exiting doesn't trump entering. I just thought that it seemed like such a silly thing to get upset about. Of course, I have lots of time on my hands now that I cancelled my west side appointments but I am pretty sure all the seconds I have saved over the years jumping to the front haven't gotten me anywhere special in life.
Tomorrow is Erev Rosh Hashonah Prep, will be in full food prep mode, table setting etc. Am sure to forget something, but will keep an eye and ear out for mitzvah opportunities.
No comments:
Post a Comment