Today is a day where the efforts of prior days seemed to come together for positive outcomes. On the tennis courts practicing as a team paid off, but more importantly when I started to fall into a hole of frustration and anger, I changed course and took a positive point of view and then just did the best I could. I thought consciously about La Shon HaRa in terms of what was silent, because even if you don't say it out loud, thinking it can take you to a negative place. Of course I noticed one of our opponents botoxed lips, but I didn't comment to my partner and I put that thought aside, and told myself perhaps there was another explanation for her inability to speak and her extra plump lips. So I'm sharing it now, because it will be a long time before I will stop noticing these things, but as long as I don't say or share it in a way that could hurt or embarrass her then I think it's okay. And as previously discussed, since no one reads this, then it is as if I am just yelling in an empty tunnel.
I got a call back from the recent widower, she was so appreciative of my call. She has her daughter coming in this weekend, but we both agreed that when she is back on her own, I am around to provide some company and conversation, to help fill the emptiness of her house for a short hour or so now and then.
I attended a professional association meeting and when they asked for volunteers, I volunteered, and gladly and not with an eye to where is the payout for me, but because I know that being involved is the path, to know more people and to bring more value to more people. It was the first time the organizer of this meeting seemed to respond to me in a positive way, and even gave me a hug. And a fortuitous event was that a scientist I had been talking to (and who has been avoiding me I think) was there, and we had a nice chat, but it seems unlikely they are going to hire me or sign me up as a founder. But that is okay, and I offered my time to review their business plan, because as along as I have time, to be productive in this way is so great. I could have the best career ever of consulting, advising and mentoring if there weren't bills to pay, but I feel at least that I am closer to my authentic self (knowing how stupid that sounds) these days.
Finally, I broke down and bought a huge stash of Halloween candy. There is no mitzah for giving children cavities but love your neighbor likely includes being warm and friendly to the hordes of costumed children and adults that will descend on our neighborhood on Monday night. I could pray for rain but at least it is a school night.
Each and every day I look for ways I can help others, add value, be a friend and a compassionate caring parent and in this way I am growing.
No comments:
Post a Comment